Acrylic on canvas, 20x30in. For sale – $250.

I was inspired by an agate stone, but the final design really went in its own direction. I began with a base of blue and chrome fluid acrylic.

Blue moon…

The chrome acrylic is a silver paint that has a really interesting effect on regular fluid acrylic. The effect above was created by squirting a pool of blue paint in the middle of the canvas and adding the chrome paint around it. The chrome was drawn onto the blue and decided to float on top being shiny. Not quite what I had in mind but pretty cool!

Once that was dry, I added one of my favourite Ironlak colours “sushi” – a pinky-purple colour, and more blue. I sprayed gold aerosol using the same technique I’ve used before to create waves in the wet paint. Added a bit of swirly-swirly action and got this.

I probably could have just stopped there – this looks nice. But it just didn’t feel done yet. I was originally going to simulate the sharp edges of the agate crystals using painter’s tape to create straight lines but…er…I forgot. So instead I decided to use blue and chrome fluid to make kind of a dotty effect in the middle. Usually I’m not a fan of this effect but this time I thought hey this will be great.

Of course I didn’t like it so I sprayed the heck out of it with water and it went all swirly and nice. After I took a photo, I decided what it really needed was a continuation of the middle blue onto the side, creating a nice two-thirds blue effect and connecting the parts of the painting a little more. That was fine, but for some mad reason, all the blue paint I added on the side started running off the canvas at this one particular spot, which made the paint flow in a weird way. So I sprayed that sucker with gold aerosol to seal it in – sorted.

To connect the gold a bit more, I added a sand-yellow which is kind of like a matte version of rich gold.

It’s usually at this point that I look at the wet painting and think, this looks too simple, add texture. So I sprinkled some salt on the bottom left and it made a really awesome ripply effect. Nice.

 

After that, it was just a matter of waiting for it all to dry. Usually I check on it while it’s drying, to adjust the angle of the easel (sometimes paint is slowly sliding off one side) or to spray a little water in some areas that are drying in a way I don’t particularly like. By the morning it had dried into the final image you see. It’s always kind of a surprise to see the finished painting with this technique.